Dec 01, 2023
MATH 1213 - Math Reasoning* 3 Credits
Math Reasoning will provide the student with an approach to problem solving through logic and reasoning. It is used to identify, analyze, generalize and communicate quantitative relationships. Topics include: Personal, State, and National Finance, Statistics and Probability, Functions and Modeling, and Quantities and Measurements. This course will satisfy the general education math requirement for students pursuing a degree which does not require College Algebra or any other higher level math course.
Prerequisite: Appropriate placement score , or instructor consent. A corequistite review course may be required based on placement score.
Corequisite: LAD 9081 Math Reasoning Review if indicated by placement score . Withdrawal from either class results in withdrawal from both classes.
Course Level Objectives
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
1. Implement methods of unit analysis to convert measurements of length, volume, and mass. (GEO 2, 3)
2. Apply the three-steps to problem solving. (GEO 2, 3)
3. Evaluate the U.S. State and Federal budgeting process to formulate informed opinions and decisions. (GEO 1, 2, 3, 4)
4. Compare loan and investment strategies based on interest models, interest rates, and financial yield. (GEO 2, 3)
5. Organize and compare data by modeling and interpreting statistical tables and graphs. (GEO 1, 2, 3, 4)
6. Apply basic probability concepts and interpret the likelihood of a situation. (GEO 2, 3)
7. Analyze and validate the results of published statistical studies. (GEO 1, 2, 3, 4)
8. Interpret and distinguish among measures of center and variability. (GEO 2, 3)
9. Assess statistical significance through modeling normal distribution calculations. (GEO 2, 3)
10. Use technology to collaborate, solve problems, represent data, and present solutions. (GEO 1, 3, 4)
11. Demonstrate professional characteristics through verbal and written communication, team
collaboration, organization, neatness, and overall self-presentation. (GEO 1, 3, 4)
ACTS Equivalent Course Number: MATH 1113
Latest Update Effective: Spring 2022
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)